Pallant Chambers

Pallant Chambers’ Public Access

The Public Access scheme enables barristers to be instructed directly by members of public, avoiding the need to go to a solicitor or other intermediary. This can involve substantial cost savings in cases where the client is able to undertake the management of the case themselves. Some barristers at Pallant Chambers are able to offer this advisory and advocacy service direct to Companies and individuals.

A public access barrister can provide specialist legal advice, draft legal documents, including statements and letters, and represent you before Courts and Tribunals. They will not be able to issue proceedings or take formal steps in proceedings, collect evidence, or instruct expert witnesses but will be able to advise you on how to do all these things yourself.

What kind of cases are suitable for Public Access?

Public Access is most suitable for straightforward cases. It is unlikely to be suitable for cases involving children. If you are not sure whether your case is suitable for Public Access you should contact our clerk or the appropriate barrister. If your case is one that really needs a solicitor they will tell you so.

What areas of law do we cover?

Chambers offers Public Access barristers in the fields of contentious and non-contentious construction, engineering, commercial and domestic property, landlord and tenant, Land Valuation Tribunals, planning, homelessness, employment, insolvency, company law, partnership, personal injury, clinical negligence, contract, trusts, inheritance, probate and family finance following divorce or separation.

How do you instruct a barrister?

The first step is to call Pallant Chambers on 01243 784538 and speak to one of our clerks about Public Access. They will recommend a suitable barrister. The barrister will contact you to discuss whether your case is suitable for public access. If it is, a consultation will be arranged. We will then draft a ‘Client Care Letter’ that states the work to be carried out, the charges for the work and any terms on which the work will be carried out.

More information on the scheme can be found in the Bar Council at “Guidance for Lay Clients”.


Pallant Chambers Public AccessPallant Chambers Public Access