In short he is my ‘go to’ barrister.2021 - Instructing Solicitor
"His work is of excellent standard and he has always achieved good results. His clients have always provided excellent feedback."2021 - Instructing Solicitor
"Would highly recommend to instruct Mr Bates. ‘2021 - Instructing Solicitor
"Very professional and approachable."2021 - Instructing Solicitor
"Has impressive attention to detail and clients are grateful for his advice and excellent representation. "2021 - Instructing Solicitor
"An excellent Lawyer, who is thorough, detailed and exceptionally learned in family proceedings. "2021 - Instructing Solicitor
"Has a fantastic rapport with clients and is supportive and approachable for queries post conclusion of proceedings which has been valuable to Instructing Solicitors casework. "2021 - Instructing Solicitor
"Edward has excellent advocacy skills, attention to detail and he prepares very well in advance for matters. He is very well organised."2021 - Instructing Solicitor
"Provides excellent client care and maintains good communication with his Instructing Solicitors."2021 - Instructing Solicitor
Education and Professional Qualifications
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants: Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA, ACMA) 2013 – 2019
- The Academy of Higher Education: Associate Fellow (AFHEA) 2018
- City, University of London: Certificate in Academic Practice – Distinction 2018
- City, University of London: Bar Professional Training Course – Very Competent 2016 – 2017
- University of Cambridge, Wolfson College: Master of Law (LLM) – Commercial Law Specialisation Designation 2015 – 2016
- University of Reading: Bachelor of Laws (LLB) – First Class Honours (Rank #1) 2009 – 2012
Academic Awards, Scholarships and Recognition
- The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple: Marshall Hall Trust Pupillage Award Scholarship 2019
- City, University of London: City Law School Postgraduate Scholarship 2016
- BPP University: University Law School Excellence Award Scholarship (Offered) 2016
- University of Cambridge, Wolfson College: David Williams Law Fund Scholarship 2015
- University of Cambridge, Wolfson College: Santander Fund Scholarship 2015
- University of Reading: Top Graduate in LLB 2012
- University of Reading: Sweet & Maxwell Award – Best Overall Performance in Part III of LLB 2012
- University of Reading: Clarkslegal LLP Award – Best Performance in Constitutional and Administrative Law 2011
VAT Number: 359396348
Edward joined Pallant Chambers in May 2021 moving from a set in London.
Before coming to the Bar, Edward started his professional career in Management Consulting at KPMG LLP, advising on regulatory and transformation projects in the financial services and public sectors. Whilst at KPMG LLP, he was also seconded to the Indirect Tax Litigation team as a Paralegal. During this time and beyond, he qualified as a Chartered Management Accountant.
After contracting as a Commercial Accountant, Edward then moved into academia, where he was a Sessional Lecturer at the University of Reading and a Lecturer in Law at City, University of London. Whilst at City, University of London, he was also the Co-Director of the LLB Programme and lectured and assessed LLB, GDL and GELLB students on modules ranging from Contract Law to Public Law. During this time, he qualified to become an Associate Fellow of the Academy of Higher Education.
Edward accepts instructions in all of Chambers’ civil practice areas. He has a particular interest in commercial, contractual and insolvency matters.
Edward has drafted advice and pleadings around real property and landlord and tenant law, including regulatory issues relating to HMOs. He has also drafted trusts in relation to TOLATA.
Edward regularly undertakes matrimonial finance and private child matters and represents parties in FHDRAs, DRAs, FFHs and final hearings.
As a Chartered Management Accountant, Edward is comfortable with numbers and financial information, which assists across his practice and especially when quantitative issues form a significant part of a case.
Edward has a particular interest in agency, corporate insolvency, company and general commercial and contractual issues. This follows on from his background of teaching and assessing as a Lecturer in Contract Law, specialising in Commercial Law within his LLM, obtaining an Outstanding in Company Law in his BPTC and publishing on contractual and insolvency matters, such as the Sale of Goods Act 1979, Consumer Rights Act 2015 and the Corporate Governance and Insolvency Act 2020.
He has acted in bankruptcy hearings and enforcement hearings, such as representing a client in a claim for historical personal debt worth over £30,000.
Edward has appeared in possession hearings relating to residential and commercial landlord and tenant disputes. He is familiar with regulatory issues with regards to HMOs, around which he has drafted statements of case. Edward has also drafted advice on issues relating to a secure tenancy, restrictive covenants, restrictions and easements.
With a practice covering both civil and matrimonial finance, Edward has a natural interest in TOLATA cases. Edward has drafted trusts of lands under TOLATA, relating to issues surrounding a life interest and also a statement of case disputing a separate trust of land in matrimonial finance proceedings.
Edward has acted in FDAs, FDRs and other directions hearings. He has provided advice such as around a s.37 MCA application, supplemental questions and obtaining expert reports for pension valuations.
E. Bates, “Academic to Professional Writing (and Employability)” (Conference, University of Leicester 2019)